Our Firm Handles Serious Burn Injury Claims in Des Moines
Helping clients obtain compensation for their injuries
The Hope Law Firm, PLC handles complex personal injury cases in Des Moines, West Des Moines and other communities of Iowa. Our legal team is motivated to fight for justice and to help our clients through the difficult period following a serious injury. If you were severely burned in an accident, we can help you and your family obtain the compensation you need and deserve.
Degrees of burns
Burns are classified by degrees, depending on the level of damage done to the skin and underlying tissue and organs:
- First-degree burn — First-degree burns are the mildest type, but they can be very painful and uncomfortable. Damage occurs to the outer layer of the skin and may leave blisters and dry patches. Usually, medical intervention is unnecessary.
- Second-degree burn — Second-degree burns can result in partial or total destruction of the entire epidermis and the dermis. The victim may experience pain or loss of sensation in the affected area. Excision and skin grafts may be necessary.
- Third-degree burn — Third-degree burns destroy all layers of the skin and penetrate to the subcutaneous tissues. The wound takes on a leathery appearance but produces no pain. Emergency medical treatment and rehabilitation are necessary, and victims are left with scarring and disabilities.
- Fourth-degree burn — The most severe, this type of burn destroys the entire skin and extends to the underlying muscle and bone. Survivors must undergo extensive medical treatment and may endure lifelong disabilities and deformities.
If you suffered any type of serious burn, our lawyers can help.
Types of burns
Burns originate from various sources, including:
- Thermal burn — Thermal burns arise from extreme heat caused by fire, scalding water, steam or hot objects.
- Chemical burn — Contact with toxic household or industrial chemicals can cause chemical burns.
- Electrical burn — Electrical sources, such as live wires, outlets and arcs, can burn the skin and penetrate to the tissues beneath.
- Radiation burn — Incorrectly calibrated medical equipment or tanning beds can result in excessive radiation and consequent burns.
- Friction burn — Bicyclists and motorcyclists involved in traffic accidents may sustain friction burns that occur when exposed skin slides across the pavement.
A burn destroys the skin and underlying tissues. The amount of destruction to your body depends on the degree of burn you sustained.
Long-term prognosis for burn injury victims
Burn victims face acute, immediate crisis and long-term complications. Our lawyers consult with specialists who deal with burn-related disabilities and treatment to calculate long-term damages for:
Medical treatment for third- and fourth-degree burns is often extensive and painful. Common burn treatments include excision of the burnt flesh, skin grafts to cover the wound with healthy skin, and intensive rehabilitation and physical therapy.
Recover for your burn injuries
Based in Des Moines, The Hope Law Firm, PLC has the experience to assist you through the challenging aftermath of a burn injury. To learn how our personal injury attorneys can protect your rights in the civil courts, call us at (515) 298-5056 or contact us online. Your first appointment is free.
Thousands of cases successfully handled for our clients.
We take an aggressive approach & have a proven track record.
We treat you with compassion, honesty, dignity and respect.
I would trust Andi with my case again and recommend her to anyone that is going through a similar case.- Michelle
Katie’s expert guidance made the process very smooth.- Neila H.
A knowledgeable, trustworthy attorney- Kelsey T.
One of the most difficult things in my life, and she made it so much easier.- Tracy
Professional and courteous service!- Sue Ann N.