Des Moines Truck Accident Attorney
Experienced Legal Help for Serious Injuries
Any truck accident can have serious consequences. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), there was a 9% increase in large truck accidents from 2009 to 2010 with almost 3,500 large trucks involved in fatal collisions. In fact, 60 people died in truck accidents in Iowa in 2011 alone.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury in a truck accident in Des Moines, the skilled personal injury attorneys of Hope Law Firm can provide the legal representation you need. With more than 40 years of combined experience, we can help you recover fair compensation, your health, and your hopes for the future.
Understanding Tractor Trailer Accidents
Given the size of an 18-wheeler, personal injuries sustained in a truck collision are often severe. Our truck accident attorneys work skillfully to obtain compensation for clients suffering trucking accident injuries from emotional shock to wrongful death.
Common injuries sustained in these types of accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Broken bones and laceration
Causes of Truck Accidents
There are many causes of truck accidents in Iowa, including texting while driving and operating a big rig when fatigued. Because such accidents are so dangerous, the trucking industry is regulated on both the state and federal levels.
Common factors contributing to truck collisions include:
- Violation of rules of the road: Poor driving — including excessive speed and following too closely — can lead to accidents.
- Industry infractions: Driver impairment and distraction routinely cause accidents as well. Drivers who violate Hours of Service (HOS) requirements are driving fatigued — and breaking the law. Trucking companies can be held responsible if they pressure their drivers to violate HOS requirements.
- Mechanical or loading failure: Faulty or insufficient maintenance, equipment failure, and improperly loaded trucks take lives each year.
Getting Help after a Collision
Trucking companies usually dispatch investigators to a truck accident scene within hours of a collision.
They gather crucial evidence about:
- Crash site metrics: Measurements, photographs, and evidence found at the scene
- Data: Onboard truck computer, electronic data recorder, and log-book information
- Parties: Background of the driver and other parties to the accident, including the trucking company, the truck owner, mechanics, and manufacturers, among others
Investigation of the cause of your injury is essential to building a strong foundation for compensation. If you have been injured in a serious collision, speak to our Des Moines truck accident lawyers as soon as possible, before valuable evidence and witness testimony are lost. We can help.
Thousands of cases successfully handled for our clients.
We treat you with compassion, honesty, dignity and respect.
We take an aggressive approach & have a proven track record.