Child Custody Attorneys in Des Moines
Protecting Parental Rights & Advancing Your Children’s Best Interests
Divorce can be very hard on your children, so when you have serious custody issues, your attorney must manage them with sensitivity and professionalism. At Hope Law Firm, we help parents assert their right to maintain a loving relationship with their children in a manner that truly advances the best interests of their children. We provide the information you need to select the best course of action for your circumstances, and we fight to achieve your goals.
Call our child custody lawyers in Des Moines at (515) 298-5056 for a free consultation.
Legal Custody & Physical Care in Iowa
In Iowa, there are two categories of rights and responsibilities that parents have regarding their minor children.
- Legal custody — Decision-making authority on issues that affect the child’s health, education, and welfare
- Physical care — The duty to provide a safe environment for the child that includes adequate shelter, clothing, and nutrition
Either of these types of custody can be sole or joint.
When establishing the custody arrangement best for the child, the court will consider:
- The suitability of each parent to be a custodian
- The psychological and emotional development of the child
- The parents’ ability to communicate with each other about the child
- Each parent’s level of care for the child before and since the separation
- Whether each parent can support the other’s relationship with the child
- The child’s wishes, taking into account the child’s age and maturity
- Whether the parents agree to joint custody
- The geographic proximity of the parents
- The safety of the child or the other parent
Iowa law directs that when the court orders sole physical custody, it must also order liberal visitation rights for the noncustodial parent so that the child can have continuing physical and emotional contact with both parents. The court may restrict visitation if the court deems contact with the noncustodial parent is likely to harm the child.
Taking Legal Action to Protect Your Child
When choosing a Des Moines child custody attorney, look for someone who is capable of asserting your rights, but is also motivated to protect your child from harm. At Hope Law Firm, we conduct ourselves professionally and implement strategies designed to minimize emotional turmoil for your child. When there is a clear danger of physical or emotional abuse, we help our clients obtain protective orders to safeguard their children.
Hope Law Firm capably asserts your parental rights while safeguarding your child’s welfare. If you need advice on a custody issue, we are happy to offer a free consultation.
Thousands of cases successfully handled for our clients.
We offer payment plans & flexible hours to meet your needs.
We treat you with compassion, honesty, dignity and respect.
We take an aggressive approach & have a proven track record.