Serving Iowa Families Statewide | Se Habla Español
Father and kids pretend fishing in living room

Revisiting Visitation: Navigating Legal Changes in Visitation

Change is a constant part of life, especially when dealing with family dynamics after separation or divorce. One common area where changes might be necessary is in the visitation schedule. Whether you are a grandparent looking for a change in visitation with your grandchildren or a parent wanting to make a different schedule for the betterment of your family, navigating the change in visitation is a complex but important ordeal. Here are some things to consider when you are revisiting visitation.

Open Communication

Begin a conversation with your family. It's essential to communicate openly about why you believe a change is necessary. The reason could range from changes in work schedules to the child's changing needs as they grow older to the desire to strengthen relationships. Whatever the reason, discussing how they would benefit the child is important.


If you cannot agree on changes, consider mediation. A neutral third party can facilitate communication and help you find a solution for all parties involved. Remember, the ultimate goal is to do what's best for your child.

Legal Process

If an agreement still can't be reached, you may need to go through the legal process. This involves filing a petition to modify the visitation order in the court that issued the original order. You'll need to demonstrate a significant change in circumstances that necessitates the change in visitation and show that the proposed change is in the child's best interest. Factors that the court considers include:

  • The child’s relationship with the grandparent or parent
  • How close you are to the child’s residence
  • How much time the child has available
  • The wishes of the child
  • The health of all parties involved

Consult an Attorney

Under Iowa law, it can be hard for parties other than the parent or legal guardian to challenge the parent’s right to make decisions. Navigating the legal processes to amend visitation rights can be complicated, so it's often helpful to consult with a family law attorney. At Hope Law Firm, we have helped many clients seek visitation rights through dedicated legal counsel and continued compassion.

If you want to spend more time with your children or grandchildren and want to revisit visitation, contact Hope Law Firm at (515) 298-5056.