Serving Iowa Families Statewide | Se Habla EspaƱol
father and daughter hugging in front of a christmas tree

How to Handle Holiday Custody

The holidays are a time for family, friends, and loved ones. But for divorced or separated parents, the holidays can be a time of stress and conflict. If you share custody of your children with your former partner, you may be wondering how to handle custody during the holidays. Here are a few tips to help you navigate holiday custody:

Communicate Early and Often

Open communication is key when it comes to sharing custody of your children. If you're hoping to spend Christmas morning with your kids, be sure to let your former partner know as soon as possible. The more notice you can give, the better. That way, there's less chance of miscommunication or conflict further down the line.

Be Flexible

While it's understandable that you want to spend time with your kids on major holidays, it's important to be flexible when it comes to custody arrangements. Your former partner may have different plans for the holidays, and it's important to be respectful of their wishes. If you're unable to come to an agreement, consider mediation or other alternatives.

Make a Plan

Once you've communicated with your former partner and come to an agreement about holiday custody, it's important to make a plan. Write out a schedule of where your children will be and when, and make sure both parents are on the same page. This will help reduce stress and confusion for both you and your children during what can be a hectic time of year.

Get Help, Get Hope

Sharing custody of your children during the holidays doesn't have to be stressful. By communicating early and often, being flexible, and making a plan, you can make holiday custody work for you and your family. Our child custody attorneys at Hope Law Firm can help you navigate any holiday custody issues and prepare for a magical holiday season with your children.

Schedule a consultation with a member of our team today by calling our firm at (515) 298-5056.