Serving Iowa Families Statewide | Se Habla Español
woman meeting an attorney

How to Request Modifications

You may feel that your spousal support, child support, or child custody order is no longer feasible for you to follow. If something substantial in your life has changed, such as salary, employment, or work hours, then you may qualify to request a modification or adjustment of the order.

Is a Modification Necessary?

A modification is necessary to change child support, child custody, or spousal support orders, however, certain circumstances must apply for it to be eligible for modification. To be able to request a modification, you must prove that:

  • The paying parent has a change in their financial situation that would affect the amount paid, including loss of job, new employment, and/or a raise in salary, or
  • There is a significant change in the life of the child or the parent which would limit the ability to follow the order, and
  • The current order ends at least 12 months after the adjustment or modification would be granted.

If you are unable to prove that any of these circumstances apply, then you will be unable to request a modification. You may need to wait until any of the above circumstances apply before you will be able to pursue a modification of your child support, custody, or spousal support order.

How to Request a Modification

If you believe that you are eligible for a custody or support modification, you should contact one of our modifications attorneys for an initial consultation. At your consultation, your attorney will determine if you are eligible for a modification or adjustment and then begin planning your case. You may need to provide documentation to your attorney to help support your case and for when you file the modification.


You will need to provide documentation of the change for the courts to review when assessing your modification request. This may be in the form of an offer letter of new employment, a letter stating the termination of your employment, documentation that you are now able to obtain health insurance for the child, or another form of official documentation of the change presented to the court.

Des Moines Modifications Attorneys

Major life changes may bring the need for a modification of custody or support. When life changes happen, you need a modifications attorney who you can trust. Our modifications attorneys at Hope Law Firm are skilled at ensuring your family can have the modification necessary to provide for them.

Looking to request a modification? Our Des Moines modifications attorneys can help you prepare and request your modification to reflect your family’s needs. Call us today at (515) 298-5056 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.