Des Moines Child Support Attorneys

Fighting for Fair & Favorable Iowa Child Support Orders

Since it is the responsibility of both parents to support their minor children,
an Iowa court may order the noncustodial parent to pay a reasonable amount
to the custodial parent. The judge is expected to follow the Iowa child
support guidelines (established by the Iowa Supreme Court) unless doing
so would be unjust or inappropriate. This is where Hope Law Firm comes
in. Our Des Moines child support lawyers work to ensure you obtain a child
support order that is appropriate for your personal situation and necessary
for the proper care of your child.

Contact us online or call
(515) 298-5056 to request a free consultation with our child support lawyer in Des Moines.

How Is Iowa Child Support Calculated?

Many states have guidelines for child support to avoid significant deviations
in court decisions. In Iowa, courts use the Schedule of Basic Support
Obligations. This document provides guidelines for payment based on the
noncustodial parent’s share of the couple’s combined monthly
income and takes into consideration the number of children the couple
has. Those amounts are only for basic support.

Some couples may still find themselves arguing over expenses such as:

  • Private school tuition
  • College tuition and living expenses
  • Enrichment activities, including musical instruction, camp, travel teams,
    and other activities

The court has the discretion to order payments that would maintain the
child in the position he or she would have enjoyed if not for the
divorce. Our Des Moines child support lawyers have experience in high net worth
divorces where these types of additional expenditures are often at issue.

What Age Does Child Support End in Iowa?

In Iowa, parents are legally required to pay child support until the child
reaches the age of 18, although there may be some exceptions. Child support
payments may end early or be reduced if the child becomes emancipated.
It may also continue beyond the child’s 18th birthday if he or she
is still in high school full time or requires special care.

Do You Still Have To Pay Child Support if You're Unemployed?

If you’re unemployed and receiving income via workers’ compensation,
unemployment, or disability benefits, some of that income may be allocated
towards child support payments.

Our Des Moines Child Support Lawyer Uses the Discovery Process To Compel
a Fair Outcome

Whether you’re litigating an initial Iowa child support order or
enforcing a previous order, the essential element you need for a fair
outcome is complete financial disclosure from both spouses. When one spouse
is able to hide assets or income, it’s impossible to make a correct
determination of how much an obligor should pay.

The Des Moines child support attorney at Hope Law Firm uses the discovery
process to obtain all pertinent financial documents and examine them for
indications of asset transfers designed to deceive the court. Our thorough
preparation in advance helps ensure excellent representation when we go to court.

Fight for Fair Child Support With Help From Our Des Moines Child Support Attorney

Despite guidelines, the courts in Iowa have a great deal of discretion
when ordering child support. Our experience in
family law negotiation and litigation helps parties get fair orders.

Call our child support attorneys in Des Moines today at
(515) 298-5056 or
contact us online to schedule an appointment.

Additional Child Support FAQs

Will Child Support Take My Tax Return?

The IRS is capable of taking your tax return in order to pay for your child
support debt/child support arrears. Called a tax refund seizure, this
happens when you are reported by your child support enforcement office.
There are many other legal recourses for non-payment, such as wage garnishment.

Does the State Pay Child Support if the Non-Custodial Parent Doesn’t?

It is the responsibility of the custodial parent to bring the person owing
child support to court for nonpayment. If your former partner still chooses
not to pay, the court will decide on what measures to take to retrieve
the money for you. The state will not recompense you.