Throughout his litigation career Mr. Hillers has focused on civil and criminal trials and appeals. He has represented a broad spectrum of clients from Fortune 100 companies to sole-proprietors and individuals in virtually every county throughout the State of Iowa involving disputes in financial services, manufacturing, serious-injury and wrongful death, agriculture, real estate, and commercial/residential construction. He handles a wide variety of litigation matters, including complex contract disputes, real-estate transactions and litigation, mortgage and lending litigation, estate and trust litigation, divorce and dissolutions and professional liability actions. He also provides estate planning services to Hope Law Firm clients. Mr. Hillers is also well-known through the industry as a leading resource on all things insurance, based upon the knowledge that he gained as in-house corporate counsel for Nationwide Insurance.
Mr. Hillers has been recognized as a leading litigator in several practice areas by numerous professional publications. The National Trial Lawyer has recognized him as Top 40 under 40 and Top 100 Civil Trial Attorneys in Iowa. He has also been selected as a Super Lawyers Rising Star.
Honors & Accomplishments
- Iowa Bar Association President’s Award – 2016
- Super Lawyers Rising Star
- National Trial Lawyers – Top 100
- National Trial Lawyers – Top 40 under 40
- Top 40 under 40 – DSM Magazine
- Created the Jury Verdict Reporter for the Iowa Bar Association
- American Bar Association Resolution – Created a position for a young attorney on the Law School Accreditation Committee, which creates the rules that drive the cost of legal education.
Admitted to Practice
- 2007 – Indiana (Inactive)
- 2010 – Iowa
Community & Professional Activities
- Iowa Bar Association
- Ethics Committee 2015 - Present
- Board of Governors 2015-2018
- President, Young Lawyers Division 2017-2018
- Chair, Membership 2017-2018
- Chair, Future of Legal Services 2015-2016
- Founder, YLD Litigation Section 2013
- Founding Member, YLD Mentor Program 2015
- Founding Member, YLD Diversity Committee 2013
- Chair, State Fair Mock Trial 2011 – 2013
- Annual Meeting Committee 2011-2013
- Corporate Counsel 2015 – 2018
- American Bar Association:
- Construction Industry Forum – Division 7 (Insurance, Surety & Liens)
- Recorder 2011 - 2013
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Legislative Liaison – Iowa/Nebraska 2011-2013
- Iowa Defense Counsel
- Commercial Litigation & Product Liability 2012 –2014
- Iowa Association for Justice
- United Way – Marshalltown
- Professional Co-Chair (2012)
- Deans Cup (Now Cady Cup) Steering Committee
Publications and Presentations
Presenter, Beyond Copy & Paste Discovery Methods in Iowa, Iowa Bar Association 2020
Presenter, YLD How To – Civil Depositions in Iowa, Iowa Bar Association 2018
Author, Treatise – Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Insurance Coverage, 2018
Author, The Future of the Practice of Law in Iowa, Iowa Bar Association 2018
Presenter, Coverage for Construction Defects under the Commercial General Liability Policy, National Business Institute 2011
Presenter, Litigating the Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Case in Iowa, National Business Institute 2012
Presenter, Thompson v. Kaczynski – Scope of Liability, Nationwide Insurance Claims Division 2012
Presenter, Wrap Exclusions in Commercial General Liability Policies, 2012
Presenter, Strategies for Negotiating, Iowa Bar Association 2017
Presenter, Litigating the UIM Case in Iowa, Iowa Bar Association 2018
Presenter, A Defense Attorney’s Perspective, Iowa Association for Justice 2019
Presenter, Insurance Coverage in Employment Law, Iowa Association for Justice 2019
Presenter, Tips for the Litigation Paralegal, Iowa Paralegal Association 2018
Presenter, Managing Electronic Records, Iowa Paralegal Association 2019
Representative Settlements and Verdicts:
- $6.8 Million judgment on a dog bite case where two young children were attacked by a canine.
- $1,250,00 recovery where the client was injured in an accident where a truck bed liner blew out of a vehicle and landed in the middle of the roadway. The client slowed to avoid the debris and was struck by another vehicle.
- $650,000 recovery in a case where the other driver was texting and driving when he crashed into the client as he was adjusting the load in his truck on the interstate
- $518,000 recovery for a husband and wife who suffered multiple injuries in a head on collision.
- $402,000 recovery for a client who was injured in a boating accident.
- $288,000 recovery in a case where the driver failed to yield at a red light and t-boned the vehicle where the client was a backseat passenger. The driver and other passengers of the vehicle fled the scene. The was diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff, which severely impacted his ability to play with his children or take part in bow hunting and archery.
- $250,000 recovery for a client with significant pre-existing neck arthritis and degenerative disc disease. The accident caused the arthritis to be lit up and become painful, which caused the need for multiple epidural steroid injections, bilateral medial branch blocks and finally a multi-level fusion surgery.
- $200,000 recovery for the passenger in a vehicle that was being driven by a drunk driver. The intoxicated driver crashed into a ditch causing serious injuries to the client.
- $200,000 recovery for a client who suffered burns after a single vehicle rollover accident.
- $250,000 recovery for a mechanic who was test driving a motorcycle for his employer after performing maintenance on the Harley Davidson when an elderly woman failed to yield at a stop sign and crashed into the mechanic on a city street.
- $150,000 recovery for a family whose mother was hit by a semi-tractor trailer as she was walking a crossed the street.
- $100,000 Our client suffered soft tissue injuries in a low speed auto accident. The client’s injuries were related to pre-existing conditions, and she had substantial pre-accident treatment. I was able to obtain a full policy-limits settlement of $100,000 from the defendant’s insurance carrier.
- Defended masonry subcontractor against claims by a homeowner that the brick facade was installed without a proper gap between the OSB/Tyvek and the back of the brick joints.
- Defended an underground utilities subcontractor against the property owners' claim that the perimeter drainage and eave spout drains were not properly sized to the runoff load after the homeowners' basement flooded during heavy rains.
- Defended general contractor against claims that the concrete and CMU foundation was not properly installed after cracking and water leakage was discovered by the owner.
- Defended concrete subcontractor against claim by the homeowners association that the foundation walls were improperly installed after cracking and water intrusion was discovered in the units.
- Defended horizontal boring contractor against claims by a municipality after unmarked and unknown underground utilities were destroyed during the boring operations.
- Prosecuted mechanics lien claims for contractors on a large commercial construction project after the property owner refused to pay the final amounts due to the subcontractors.
- Defended home builder against claim that Tyvek was not properly installed according to code in a residential development.
- Defended home builder against claim by insurance company that ice dam and tar paper were improperly installed by a roofing subcontractor in a subdivision development.
- Defended a wholesale window supplier in a lawsuit by the owner of a large home after mold and rot was discovered adjacent to the windows while the house was being resided.
- Defended a large vinyl siding manufacturer against claims by a commercial property owner asserting that the product was defective.
- Defended a large underground utilities contractor after it was sued by a local municipality when water entered a building during raining allegedly due to improper grading of the pad and improper installation of temporary storm drains.
- Defended multiple plumbing companies against claims by homeowners after heavy rains where the owners claimed that the contractors failed to install sufficient tile, basins and sump pump capacities.
- Defended plumber when the pipes that he installed burst and flooded a home.
- Defended a large subcontractor against penalties and violations brought by Iowa OSHA arising out of an incident where two workers were killed while working at a construction site.