Mr. Hillers has successfully taken on cases against some of the nation’s largest trucking, and insurance companies. In his career, Mr. Hillers has handled numerous catastrophic loss auto accidents including tractor-trailer crashes, that caused the wrongful death of innocent victims. Tom’s story is quite unique because he has not always represented injured people – he spent a number of years as an attorney for the insurance companies. Tom represented many of the local Iowa insurance carriers in court, and he also worked as an attorney in the office of general counsel for one of the largest insurance companies in the nation, so he is known as one of the leading experts in Iowa on how to obtain fair settlements or verdicts that do justice for injured people here in the State of Iowa.
AWARDS & HONORS
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100 - Tom has been inducted into the National Trial Lawyers Top 100.
- Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys – Tom is a member of the Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys, which is a membership only group of national attorneys who focus on accidents involving tractor trailers, large trucks, buses, rescue squad vehicles, construction vehicles, dump trucks, box trucks, school buses, logging trucks, tanker trucks and hazardous materials trucks. These accidents are commonly caused by driver fatigue, falling cargo, shifting cargo, faulty inspection, faulty truck maintenance, and driver intoxication.
- Top Attorneys Under 40 – DSM Magazine name Tom as one of the Top attorneys under forty.
- President's Award - From time to time, the President of the Iowa Bar Association recognizes an Iowa attorney for his or her hard work and achievements in the practice of law. Tom Hillers was the President's Award recipient in 2016.
- Super Lawyers - Tom was honored as a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2018 and 2019 for his excellence in the practice of law.
- Top 40 under 40 – Civil Plaintiff Attorneys – Tom has received the honored membership into the Top 40 under 40 from the National Trial Lawyers.
LECTURES & BOOKS
Mr. Hillers is regularly invited to speak at seminars held by Iowa attorneys related to insurance claims, insurance coverage, settlement strategy, and trial tactics involving personal injury cases. Here are a few of his recent lectures:
- Iowa Association for Justice Annual Attorney Convention – Tactics for Negotiating with Insurance Companies
- Litigating Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims in Iowa
- Iowa Civil Depositions
Mr. Hillers also wrote the book on uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance claims in the State of Iowa.
- $1,250,00 recovery where Tom’s client was injured in an accident where a truck bed liner blew out of a vehicle and landed in the middle of the roadway. The client slowed to avoid the debris and was struck by another vehicle.
- $650,000 recovery in a case where the other driver was texting and driving when he crashed into the client as he was adjusting the load in his truck on the interstate
- $518,000 recovery for a husband and wife who suffered fractured bones in a head on collision while they were operating a rental car.
- $288,000 recovery in a case where the driver failed to yield at a red light and t-boned the vehicle where the client was a backseat passenger. The driver and other passengers of the vehicle fled the scene. The was diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff, which severely impacted his ability to play with his children or take part in bow hunting and archery.
- $250,000 recovery for a client who was riding his Harley Davidson and crashed into the back of a construction trailer as the truck was turning into a driveway.
- $250,000 recovery for a mechanic who was test driving a motorcycle for his employer after performing maintenance on the Harley Davidson when an elderly woman failed to yield at a stop sign and crashed into the mechanic on a city street.
- $250,000 recovery for a client with significant pre-existing neck arthritis and degenerative disc disease. The accident caused the arthritis to be lit up and become painful, which caused the need for multiple epidural steroid injections, bilateral medial branch blocks and finally a multi-level fusion surgery.
- $200,000 recovery for the passenger in a vehicle that was being driven by a drunk driver. The intoxicated driver crashed into a ditch causing serious injuries to the client.
- $200,000 recovery for a client who suffered burns after a single vehicle rollover accident.
- $150,000 recovery for a family whose mother was hit by a semi-tractor trailer as she was walking across the street.
- $100,000 recovery for Tom’s client who suffered soft tissue injuries in a low speed auto accident. The client’s injuries were related to pre-existing conditions, and she had substantial pre-accident treatment. I was able to obtain a full policy-limits settlement of $100,000 from the defendant’s insurance carrier.