Experienced Legal Guidance in Nursing Home Abuse Cases in Iowa
Trusted advocacy in Warren, Dallas and Polk counties
With age comes physical, emotional and financial vulnerability. Decline in cognitive and physical ability makes seniors targets for abuse. There are laws against elder abuse — and if your loved one suffers nursing home abuse in Iowa, we can help. With offices in downtown West Des Moines, the attorneys at Hope Law Firm, PLC offer compassionate, responsive legal support when personal injury occurs in a residential or nursing home setting, or if you suspect elder abuse.
Could you recognize elder abuse?
Elder abuse is sometimes called a silent crime because its victims are fearful — or unable — to make their injuries known. According to the Iowa Elder Abuse Initiative, approximately one in nine seniors in the United States reported being abused, exploited or neglected in 2010. Elder abuse can trigger serious illness, cause injury and lead to wrongful death.
With the aging of the Baby Boom generation, the Administration on Aging (AOA) estimates there will be more than 72 million Americans 65 years or older by 2030 — double the number in 2000. Elder abuse occurs to seniors of all backgrounds and is usually inflicted by caregivers or other trusted persons. Types of elder abuse include:
- Physical abuse: Malnutrition, poor hygiene, unkempt appearance and development of pressure sores are symptoms of nursing home abuse. In any residential setting, sudden injury, marks, bruises or complaints of sexual injury should be taken seriously and immediately investigated.
- Emotional abuse: Social or emotional withdrawal, especially in the presence of caregivers can be a sign of emotional abuse. Growing distrust, anger, agitation and secrecy can be symptoms of abusive treatment taking place out of view of relatives.
- Financial abuse: Changes in banking arrangements, unpaid bills and drained savings accounts are serious signs of financial abuse of the elderly. Once victimized by unscrupulous relatives or scam artists, seniors can find themselves impoverished for life.
While it is difficult placing an elderly family member in residential care, it is more traumatic to suspect an abusive situation. If injury to your loved one occurs in Iowa, we look at factors that contribute to nursing home abuse, including:
- Inadequate training or screening of staff
- Inappropriate staffing levels
- Over-medication or physical restraint used to confine patients
- Inappropriate or inattentive security
Iowa laws support the right of every senior to live with dignity and in safety. If you suspect nursing home abuse, our law firm immediately can help your family pursue compensation through legal action for the losses and injury suffered. We can help — we can give you hope.
Skilled Iowa legal representation with nursing home abuse
With a skilled legal and professional staff, Hope Law Firm, PLC offers responsive, knowledgeable representation on matters of nursing home abuse or other personal injury. Contact us or call 515-255-3559 to schedule a free consultation.
We offer evening and weekend appointments and will come to you if you cannot travel.